The ABMC commemorative mission is reflected in 24 overseas military cemeteries that serve
as resting places for almost 125,000 American war dead; on Tablets of the Missing that
memorialize more than 94,000 U.S. servicemen and women; and through 25 memorials,
monuments and markers.
Aisne-Marne Cemetery and Memorial in France
The 42.5-acre Aisne-Marne Cemetery and Memorial in France, its headstones lying in a
sweeping curve, sits at the foot of the hill where stands Belleau Wood. The cemetery
contains the graves of 2,289 war dead, most of whom fought in the vicinity and in the
Marne valley in the summer of 1918. The memorial chapel sits on a hillside, decorated
with sculptured and stained-glass details of wartime personnel, equipment and insignia.
Inscribed on its interior wall are 1,060 names of the missing. Rosettes mark the names of
those since recovered and identified. During World War II, the chapel was damaged slightly
by an enemy shell.
Belleau Wood adjoins the cemetery and contains many vestiges of World War I. A monument
at the flagpole commemorates the valor of the U.S. Marines who captured much of this
ground in 1918.
Ardennes American Cemetery and Memorial in Belgium
The approach drive at Ardennes American Cemetery and Memorial in Belgium leads to the
memorial, a stone structure bearing on its facade a massive American eagle and other
sculptures. Within are the chapel, three large wall maps composed of inlaid marbles,
marble panels depicting combat and supply activities and other ornamental features. Along
the outside of the memorial, 462 names are inscribed on the granite Tablets of the
Missing. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified. The facade on
the far (north) end that overlooks the burial area bears the insignia, in mosaic, of the
major U.S. units that operated in northwest Europe in World War II.
The 90-acre cemetery contains the graves of 5,329 of our military dead, many of whom died
in the 1944 Ardennes winter offensive (Battle of the Bulge). The headstones are aligned
in straight rows that form a Greek cross on the lawns and are framed by tree masses. The
cemetery served as the location of the Central Identification Point for the American
Graves Registration Service of the War Department during much of the life of the Service.
The Brittany American Cemetery and Memorial in France covers 28 acres of rolling farm
country near the eastern edge of Brittany and contains the remains of 4,410 of our war
dead, most of whom lost their lives in the Normandy and Brittany campaigns of 1944. Along
the retaining wall of the memorial terrace are inscribed the names of 498 of the missing.
Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified.
The gray granite memorial, containing the chapel as well as two large operations maps with
narratives and flags of our military services, overlooks the burial area. Stained glass
and sculpture embellish the structure. The lookout platform of the tower, reached by 98
steps, affords a view of the stately pattern of the headstones, as well as of the peaceful
surrounding countryside stretching northward to the sea and Mont St. Michel. The cemetery
is located on the site of the temporary American St. James Cemetery, established on August
4, 1944 by the U.S. Third Army. It marks the point where the American forces made their
breakthrough from the hedgerow country of Normandy into the plains of Brittany during the
offensive around Avranches.
Brookwood American Cemetery and Memorial in England
The 4.5 acre Brookwood American Cemetery and Memorial in England lies to the west of the
large civilian cemetery built by the London Necropolis Co. and contains the graves of 468
of our military dead. Close by are military cemeteries and monuments of the British
Commonwealth and other allied nations. Automobiles may drive through the Commonwealth or
civilian cemeteries to the American cemetery.
Within the American cemetery the headstones are arranged in four plots, grouped about the
flagpole. The regular rows of white marble headstones on the smooth lawn are framed by
masses of shrubs and evergreen trees which form a perfect setting for the chapel, a
classic white stone building on the north end of the cemetery. The interior of the chapel
is of tan-hued stone. Small stained-glass windows light the altar and flags and the carved
cross above them. On the walls within the chapel are inscribed the names of 563 of the
missing. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified.
Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial site in England
The Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial site in England, 30.5 acres in total, was
donated by the University of Cambridge. It lies on a slope with the west and south sides
framed by woodland. The cemetery contains the remains of 3,812 of our military dead; 5,127
names are recorded on the Tablets of the Missing. Rosettes mark the names of those since
recovered and identified. Most died in the Battle of the Atlantic or in the strategic air
bombardment of northwest Europe.
From the flagpole platform near the main entrance, the great mall with its reflecting
pools stretches eastward. It is from the mall that the wide, sweeping curve of the burial
area across the green lawns is best appreciated. Along the south side are the Tablets of
the Missing, and at the far end is the memorial with its chapel, two huge military maps,
stained-glass windows bearing the state seals and military decorations, and mosaic ceiling
memorial to the dead of our air forces.
The American Battle Monuments Commission assumed responsibility for the care and
maintenance of the Corozal American Cemetery in Panama in 1982. At this 16-acre cemetery
are interred 5,336 American veterans and others. A paved walk leads from the Visitor
Center to a small memorial that sits atop a knoll overlooking the graves area. The
memorial consists of a paved plaza with a 12-foot rectangular granite obelisk flanked by
two flagpoles on which fly the United States and Panamanian flags. Engraved on the
obelisk in English and Spanish is the following inscription:
THIS MEMORIAL HAS BEEN ERECTED BY THE
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
IN HUMBLE TRIBUTE TO ALL INTERRED HERE
WHO SERVED IN ITS ARMED FORCES OR
CONTRIBUTED TO THE CONSTRUCTION,
OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE OF
THE PANAMA CANAL
The Epinal American Cemetery and Memorial in France, 48.6 acres in extent, is sited on a
plateau 100 feet above the Moselle River in the foothills of the Vosges Mountains. It
contains the graves of 5,255 of our military dead, most of whom lost their lives in the
campaigns across northeastern France to the Rhine and beyond into Germany. The cemetery
was established in October 1944 by the 46th Quartermaster Graves Registration Company of
the U.S. Seventh Army as it drove northward from southern France through the Rhone Valley
into Germany. The cemetery became the repository for the fatalities in the bitter
fighting through the Heasbourg Gap during the winter of 1944-45.
The memorial, a rectangular structure with two large bas-relief panels, consists of a
chapel, portico, and map room with a mosaic operations map. On the walls of the Court of
Honor, which surround the memorial, are inscribed the names of 424 of the missing.
Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified. Stretching northward is a
wide, tree-lined mall that separates the two large burial plots. At the northern end of
the mall, the circular flagpole plaza forms an overlook affording a view of a wide sweep
of the Moselle Valley.
On May 12, 1958, thirteen caskets draped with American flags were placed side by side at
the memorial. Each casket contained the remains of one World War II Unknown American, one
from each of the thirteen permanent American military cemeteries in the European Theater
of Operations. In a solemn ceremony, General Edward J. O'Neill, Commanding General of the
U.S. Army Communication Zone, Europe, selected the Unknown to represent the European
Theater. It was flown to Naples, Italy and placed with Unknowns from the Atlantic and
Pacific Theaters of Operation aboard the USS Blandy for transportation to Washington,
D.C. for final selection of the Unknown from World War II. On Memorial Day, 1958, the
remains were buried alongside the Unknown from World War I at the Tomb of the Unknown
Soldier at Arlington National Cemetery.
Flanders Field American Cemetery and Memorial in Belgium
The Flanders Field American Cemetery and Memorial in Belgium occupies a 6.2-acre site.
Masses of graceful trees and shrubbery frame the burial area and screen it from passing
traffic. At the ends of the paths leading to three of the corners of the cemetery are
circular retreats, with benches and urns. At this peaceful site rest 368 of our military
dead, most of whom gave their lives in liberating the soil of Belgium in World War I.
Their headstones are aligned in four symmetrical areas around the white stone chapel that
stands in the center of the cemetery.
The altar inside the chapel is made of black and white "Grand Antique" marble with draped
flags on each side; above it is a crusader's sword outlined in gold. The chapel furniture
is of carved oak, stained black with white veining to harmonize with the altar; 43 names
are inscribed on Walls of the Missing. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered
Florence American Cemetery and Memorial site in Italy
The Florence American Cemetery and Memorial site in Italy covers 70 acres, chiefly on the
west side of the Greve "torrente." The wooded hills that frame its west limit rise
several hundred feet. Between the two entrance buildings, a bridge leads to the burial
area where the headstones of 4,402 of our military dead are arrayed in symmetrical curved
rows upon the hillside. They represent 39 percent of the U.S. Fifth Army burials
originally made between Rome and the Alps. Most died in the fighting that occurred after
the capture of Rome in June 1944. Included among them are casualties of the heavy
fighting in the Apennines shortly before the war's end. On May 2, 1945, the enemy troops
in northern Italy surrendered.
Above the graves, on the topmost of three broad terraces, stands the memorial marked by a
tall pylon surmounted by a large sculptured figure. The memorial has two open atria, or
courts, joined by the Tablets of the Missing upon which are inscribed 1,409 names.
Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified. The atrium at the south
end of the Tablets of the Missing serves as a forecourt to the chapel, which is decorated
with marble and mosaic. The north atrium contains the marble operations maps recording
the achievements of the American armed forces in this region.
Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery and Memorial in Belgium
At the Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery and Memorial in Belgium, covering 57 acres, rest
7,992 of our military dead, most of whom lost their lives during the advance of the U.S.
armed forces into Germany. Their headstones are arranged in gentle arcs sweeping across a
broad green lawn that slopes gently downhill. A highway passes through the reservation.
West of the highway an overlook affords an excellent view of the rolling Belgian
countryside, once a battlefield.
To the east is the long colonnade that, with the chapel and map room, forms the memorial
overlooking the burial area. The chapel is simple but richly ornamented. In the map room
are two maps of military operations, carved in black granite, with inscriptions recalling
the achievements of our forces. On the rectangular piers of the colonnade are inscribed
the names of 450 missing. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified.
The seals of the states and territories are also carved on these piers.
The cemetery possesses great military historic significance as it holds fallen Americans
of two major efforts, one covering the U.S. First Army's drive in September 1944 through
northern France, Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg into Germany, the second covering the
Battle of the Bulge. It was from the temporary cemetery at Henri-Chapelle that the first
shipments of remains of American war dead were returned to the U.S. for permanent burial.
The repatriation program began on July 27, 1947 at a special ceremony at the cemetery
when the disinterment began. The first shipment of 5,600 American war dead from
Henri-Chapelle left Antwerp, Belgium the first week of October 1947. An impressive
ceremony was held, with over 30,000 Belgium citizens attending along with representatives
of the Belgium government and senior Americans.
The Lorraine American Cemetery and Memorial in France covers 113.5 acres and contains the
largest number of graves of our military dead of World War II in Europe, a total of
10,489. Their headstones are arranged in nine plots in a generally elliptical design
extending over the beautiful rolling terrain of eastern Lorraine and culminating in a
prominent overlook feature. Most of the dead here were killed while driving the German
forces from the fortress city of Metz toward the Siegfried Line and the Rhine River.
Initially, there were over 16,000 Americans interred in the St. Avold region, mostly from
the U.S. Seventh Army's Infantry and Armored Divisions and its Cavalry Groups. St. Avold
served as a vital communications center for the vast network of enemy defenses guarding
the western border of the Third Reich.
The memorial, which stands on a plateau to the west of the burial area, contains ceramic
operations maps with narratives and service flags. High on its exterior front wall is the
large figure of St. Nabor, the martyred Roman soldier overlooking the silent host. On
each side of the memorial, and parallel to its front, stretch the Tablets of the Missing
on which are inscribed 444 names. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and
identified. The entire area is framed in woodland.
Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial in Luxembourg
The Luxembourg American Cemetery and Memorial, 50.5 acres in extent, is situated in a
beautiful wooded area. The cemetery was established on December 29, 1944 by the 609th
Quartermaster Company of the U.S. Third Army while Allied Forces were stemming the enemy's
desperate Ardennes Offensive, one of the critical battles of World War II. The city of
Luxembourg served as headquarters for General George S. Patton's U.S. Third Army. General
Patton is buried here.
Not far from the cemetery entrance stands the white stone chapel, set on a wide circular
platform surrounded by woods. It is embellished with sculpture in bronze and stone, a
stained-glass window with American unit insignia, and a mosaic ceiling. Flanking the
chapel at a lower level are two large stone pylons upon which are maps made of various
inlaid granites, with inscriptions recalling the achievements of the American armed
forces in this region. On the same pylons are inscribed the names of 371 of the missing.
Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified.
Sloping gently downhill from the memorial is the burial area containing 5,076 of our
military dead, many of whom lost their lives in the "Battle of the Bulge" and in the
advance to the Rhine. Their headstones follow graceful curves; trees, fountains and
flower beds contribute to the dignity of the ensemble.
Manila American Cemetery and Memorial in the Philippines
The Manila American Cemetery and Memorial in the Philippines occupies 152 acres on a
prominent plateau, visible at a distance from the east, south and west. It contains the
largest number of graves of our military dead of World War II, a total of 17,202, most of
whom lost their lives in operations in New Guinea and the Philippines. The headstones are
aligned in 11 plots forming a generally circular pattern, set among masses of a wide
variety of tropical trees and shrubbery.
The chapel, a white masonry building enriched with sculpture and mosaic, stands near the
center of the cemetery. In front of it on a wide terrace are two large hemicycles.
Twenty-five mosaic maps recall the achievements of the American armed forces in the
Pacific, China, India and Burma. On rectangular Trani limestone piers within the
hemicycles are inscribed the Tablets of the Missing containing 36,285 names. Rosettes
mark the names of those since recovered and identified. Carved in the floors are the seals
of the American states and its territories. From the memorial and other points within the
cemetery there are impressive views over the lowlands to Laguna de Bay and towards the
Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery and Memorial in France
Within the Meuse-Argonne American Cemetery and Memorial in France, which covers 130.5
acres, rest the largest number of our military dead in Europe, a total of 14,246. Most of
those buried here lost their lives during the Meuse-Argonne Offensive of World War I. The
immense array of headstones rises in long regular rows upward beyond a wide central pool
to the chapel that crowns the ridge. A beautiful bronze screen separates the chapel foyer
from the interior, which is decorated with stained-glass windows portraying American unit
insignia; behind the altar are flags of the principal Allied nations.
On either side of the chapel are memorial loggias. One panel of the west loggia contains
a map of the Meuse-Argonne Offensive. Inscribed on the remaining panels of both loggias
are Tablets of the Missing with 954 names, including those from the U.S. expedition to
northern Russia in 1918-1919. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and
The Mexico City National Cemetery was established in 1851 by Congress to gather the
American dead of the Mexican War that lay in the nearby fields and to provide burial
space for Americans that died in the vicinity. A small monument marks the common grave of
750 unidentified American dead of the War of 1847. Inscribed on the monument are the
TO THE HONORED MEMORY
OF 750 AMERICANS
KNOWN BUT TO GOD
WHOSE BONES COLLECTED
BY THEIR COUNTRY'S ORDER
ARE HERE BURIED
In this 1-acre area are also placed 813 remains of Americans and others in wall crypts
on either side of the cemetery. The cemetery was closed to further burials in 1923.
Netherlands American Cemetery and Memorial in the Netherlands
The World War II Netherlands American Cemetery and Memorial is the only American military
cemetery in the Netherlands. The cemetery site has a rich historical background, lying
near the famous Cologne-Boulogne highway built by the Romans and used by Caesar during
his campaign in that area. The highway was also used by Charlemagne, Charles V, Napoleon,
and Kaiser Wilhelm II. In May 1940, Hitler's legions advanced over the route of the old
Roman highway, overwhelming the Low Countries. In September 1944, German troops once more
used the highway for their withdrawal from the countries occupied for four years.
The cemetery's tall memorial tower can be seen before reaching the site, which covers
65.5 acres. From the cemetery entrance the visitor is led to the Court of Honor with its
pool reflecting the tower. At the base of the tower facing the reflecting pool is a statue
representing a mother grieving her lost son. To the right and left, respectively, are the
Visitor Building and the map room containing three large, engraved operations maps with
texts depicting the military operations of the American armed forces. Stretching along
the sides of the court are Tablets of the Missing on which are recorded 1,722 names.
Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified.
Within the tower is a chapel. The light fixture in the chapel and the altar candelabra
and flower bowl were presented by the government of the Netherlands and by the local
Provincial administration. Beyond the tower is a burial area divided into 16 plots, where
rest 8,301 of our military dead, their headstones set in long curves. A wide, tree-lined
mall leads to the flagstaff that crowns the crest.
The Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial in France is located on the site of the
temporary American St. Laurent Cemetery, established by the U.S. First Army on June 8,
1944 and the first American cemetery on European soil in World War II. The cemetery site,
at the north end of its 1/2 mile access road, covers 172.5 acres and contains the graves of
9,387 of our military dead, most of whom lost their lives in the D-Day landings and
ensuing operations. On the Walls of the Missing in a semicircular garden on the east side
of the memorial are inscribed 1,557 names. Rosettes mark the names of those since
recovered and identified.
The memorial consists of a semicircular colonnade with a loggia at each end containing
large maps and narratives of the military operations; at the center is the bronze statue,
"Spirit of American Youth." An orientation table overlooking the beach depicts the
landings in Normandy. Facing west at the memorial, one sees in the foreground the
reflecting pool; beyond is the burial area with a circular chapel and, at the far end,
granite statues representing the U.S. and France.
North Africa American Cemetery and Memorial in Tunisia
At the 27-acre North Africa American Cemetery and Memorial in Tunisia rest 2,841 of our
military dead, their headstones set in straight lines subdivided into 9 rectangular plots
by wide paths, with decorative pools at their intersections. Along the southeast edge of
the burial area, bordering the tree-lined terrace leading to the memorial is the Wall of
the Missing. On this wall 3,724 names are engraved. Rosettes mark the names of those since
recovered and identified. Most honored here lost their lives in World War II in military
activities ranging from North Africa to the Persian Gulf.
The chapel and the memorial court, which contains large maps in mosaic and ceramic
depicting the operations and supply activities of American forces across Africa to the
Persian Gulf, were designed to harmonize with local architecture. The chapel interior is
decorated with polished marble, flags and sculpture.
Oise-Aisne American Cemetery and Memorial in France
The Oise-Aisne American Cemetery and Memorial in France contains the remains of 6,012
American war dead, most of whom lost their lives while fighting in this vicinity in 1918
during the First World War. Their headstones, aligned in long rows on the 36.5-acre site,
rise in a gentle slope from the entrance to the memorial at the far end. The burial area
is divided into four plots by wide paths lined by trees and beds of roses; at the
intersection are a circular plaza and the flagpole.
The memorial is a curving colonnade, flanked at the ends by a chapel and a map room. It
is built of rose-colored sandstone with white trim bearing sculptured details of wartime
equipment. The chapel contains an altar of carved stone. Engraved upon its Walls of the
Missing are 241 names. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified.
The map room contains an engraved and colored wall map portraying the military operations
in this region during 1918.
The site of the Rhone American Cemetery and Memorial in France was selected because of
its historic location along the route of the U.S. Seventh Army's drive up the Rhone
Valley. It was established on August 19, 1944 after the Seventh Army's surprise landing
in southern France.
On 12.5 acres at the foot of a hill clad with the characteristic cypresses, olive trees,
and oleanders of southern France rest 861 of our military dead, most of whom lost their
lives in the liberation of southern France in August 1944. Their headstones are arranged
in straight lines, divided into four plots, and grouped about an oval pool. At each end
of the cemetery is a small garden. On the hillside overlooking the cemetery is the chapel
with its wealth of decorative mosaic and large sculptured figures. Between the chapel and
the burial area, a bronze relief map recalls military operations in the region. On the
retaining wall of the terrace, 294 names of the missing are inscribed. Rosettes mark the
names of those since recovered and identified.
Sicily-Rome American Cemetery and Memorial in Italy
The World War II Sicily-Rome American Cemetery and Memorial site in Italy covers 77 acres,
rising in a gentle slope from a broad pool with an island and cenotaph flanked by groups
of Italian cypress trees. Beyond the pool is the immense field of headstones of 7,861 of
American military war dead, arranged in gentle arcs on broad green lawns beneath rows of
Roman pines. The majority of these men died in the liberation of Sicily (July 10 to
August 17, 1943); in the landings in the Salerno Area (September 9, 1943) and the heavy
fighting northward; in the landings at Anzio Beach and expansion of the beachhead
(January 22, 1944 to May 1944); and in air and naval support in the regions.
A wide central mall leads to the memorial, rich in works of art and architecture,
expressing America's remembrance of the dead. It consists of a chapel to the south, a
peristyle, and a map room to the north. On the white marble walls of the chapel are
engraved the names of 3,095 of the missing. Rosettes mark the names of those since
recovered and identified. The map room contains a bronze relief map and four fresco maps
depicting the military operations in Sicily and Italy. At each end of the memorial are
ornamental Italian gardens.
The World War I Somme American Cemetery and Memorial in France is sited on a gentle slope
typical of the open, rolling Picardy countryside. The 14.3-acre cemetery contains the
graves of 1,844 of our military dead. Most lost their lives while serving in American
units attached to British armies, or in operations near Cantigny. The headstones, set in
regular rows, are separated into four plots by paths that intersect at the flagpole near
the top of the slope. The longer axis leads to the chapel at the eastern end of the
A massive bronze door surmounted by an American eagle leads into the chapel, whose outer
walls contain sculptured pieces of military equipment. Once inside, light from a
cross-shaped crystal window above the marble altar bathes the subdued interior with
light. The walls bear the names of 333 of the missing. Rosettes mark the names of those
since recovered and identified.
St. Mihiel American Cemetery and Memorial in France
The World War I St. Mihiel American Cemetery and Memorial in France, 40.5 acres in extent,
contains the graves of 4,153 of our military dead. The majority of these died in the
offensive that resulted in the reduction of the St. Mihiel salient that threatened Paris.
The burial area is divided by Linden alignment trees and paths into four equal plots. At
the center is a large sundial surmounted by an American eagle. To the right (west) is a
statue of a World War I soldier and at the eastern end is a semi-circular overlook
dominated by a sculpture representing a victory vase.
Beyond the burial area to the south is the white stone memorial consisting of a small
chapel, a peristyle with a large rose-granite funeral urn at its center, and a map
building. The chapel contains a beautiful mosaic portraying an angel sheathing his sword.
On two walls of the museum are recorded the names of 284 of the missing. Rosettes mark
the names of those since recovered and identified. On the wall facing the door is a large
map of inlaid marble depicting the St. Mihiel Offensive.
Originally a World War I cemetery, the Suresnes American Cemetery and Memorial just
outside Paris, France now shelters the remains of U.S. dead of both wars. The 7.5-acre
cemetery contains the remains of 1,541 Americans who died in World War I and 24 Unknown
dead of World War II. Bronze tablets on the walls of the chapel record the names of 974
World War I missing. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified.
The World War I memorial chapel was enlarged by the addition of two loggias dedicated to
the dead of World Wars I and II, respectively. In the rooms at the ends of the loggias
are white marble figures in memory of those who lost their lives in the two wars.
Inscribed on the loggia walls is a summary of the loss of life in our armed forces in
each war, together with the location of the overseas commemorative cemeteries where our
war dead are buried.